The Municipality advertises for all positions as they become available. You can watch for Municipal job postings on this website or in local newspapers. The Municipality does not take applications when there are no positions available.
When opportunities on the horizon in the District come to fruition there will immediately be new job opportunities. For example, the Melford Atlantic gateway will create 200 direct full time jobs, and as many as 1,500 in the related logistics park. In the resource sectors and tourism, there are also opportunities.
Deputy Returning Officers/Poll Clerks
Municipal By-Election, District 4
MODG’s Returning Officer is seeking 4 qualified Deputy Returning Officers and 4 qualified Poll Clerks for the upcoming Municipal By-Election in April for District 4.
DROs/Poll Clerks will need to be available for the following times:
• Advance Polling Station- Thursday, April 4th- 12 noon – 8:00 p.m. (All locations)
• Advance Polling Station- Tuesday, April 9th- 12 noon – 8:00 p.m. (All locations)
• Regular Election Day- Saturday, April 13th - 8:00 a.m. – 7:00 p.m. (All locations)
One training session will also be required in advance of the election (date to be determined).
Four polling locations will be established:
|Polling Station||Location||Area Covered|
|4-1||Municipal Building||Portion of Guysborough to Cooks Cove, South River Lake, Donahue Lake|
|4-2||Halfway Cove Hall||Cooks Cove to Queensport|
|4-3||Queensport Fire Hall||Queensport to Fox Island|
|4-4||Whitehead Community Center||Whitehead|
Please specify which position you are applying for and which location.
• Experience working elections is a definite asset
• Candidates with knowledge of the District will be given preference
• Applicant may not be placed in the poll or position they apply for
• Must be responsible, organized, understand the importance of confidentiality and able to follow direction and municipal election protocols and procedures
• Willing to travel to pick up and drop off supplies
Please submit your interest and qualifications preferably by email or in person by Friday, March 22nd, 2019 at 4:30 p.m.
Municipal Clerk/Returning Officer
33 Pleasant Street, PO Box 79
Guysborough, Nova Scotia, B0H 1N0
tel: 533-3705 ext. 224
The Municipality of the District of Guysborough is currently seeking applications from energetic, detail-oriented and dynamic individual interested in joining our team as a Building/Fire Official.
Primary Responsibilities of the Building/Fire Official:
• Examine building plans when submitted for compliance with the Nova Scotia Building Code, Municipal Building Bylaw and Land Use Bylaw
• Issue building permits, demolition permits and occupancy permits
• Conduct on-site inspections as required by the Building Bylaw and regulations as requested by the owner or contractor
• On a daily basis, provide information and assistance to contractors, developers, architects, solicitors and the general public regarding all aspects of construction under the Building Code Act
• Carry out fire inspections as required by the Fire Safety Act
The Ideal Candidate will have:
• A Diploma as a Qualified Building Official in Nova Scotia – Level 1 or Level 2
• A minimum of 3 years’ experience in a municipal building inspection environment
• A thorough knowledge of the National Building Code, Plumbing Code and Fire Code as well as other relevant provincial legislation and regulations relating to building and fire inspection
• A member in good standing of the Nova Scotia Building officials Association
• Eligibility for membership in the Fire Inspectors Association of Nova Scotia
• Excellent customer service and public relations skills
• Excellent written and communication skills
• A valid driver’s license
• Computer skills
The Municipality will consider applicants with established education and experience in the construction trades, who would be willing to enroll in the Nova Scotia Building Code Training and Certification Boards Intern Program and work toward becoming a Qualified Level I Building Official.
A detailed job description is available here.
CHEDABUCTO LIFESTYLE COMPLEX FACILITY ATTENDANT / CHEDABUCTO FITNESS CENTRE OFFICE CLERK
The Municipality of the District of Guysborough has an immediate opening for one (1) spare Facility Attendant / Fitness Centre Office Clerk at Chedabucto Lifestyle Complex, Guysborough. The hours of operation of the facility are Monday to Friday 6:00 a.m. to 9:00 p.m., Saturday from 8:00 a.m. to 4:00 p.m. and Sunday from 10:00 a.m. to 4:00 p.m.
The successful applicant must have excellent communication and customer service skills along with the ability to deal directly with the public. Knowledge and the ability to utilize computers and word processing is a requirement. The individual must be bondable and have the ability to deal with financial transactions. Related work experience in a Recreation or Fitness Centre would be considered an asset. A current CPR and First Aid Certificate is also an asset but not necessary.
General responsibilities include collection of membership fees, booking the facility, dealing with the public who visit the Chedabucto Lifestyle Complex, answering inquiries and other duties pertaining to the day to day operations such as marketing and registration of Municipal Recreation Programs and custodial duties. A copy of the job description is available by contacting the Recreation Programmer.
Applications for this position will be received by the undersigned up to and including Thursday, March 21st, 2019 before 4:30 p.m. Applications should be clearly marked APPLICATION - CHEDABUCTO LIFESTYLE COMPLEX FACILITY ATTENDANT /FITNESS CENTRE OFFICE CLERK and may be submitted in person to the Chedabucto Lifestyle Complex, by e-mail, or by mailing to the address listed at bottom.
FANNING FITNESS CENTRES OFFICE CLERK SPARE POSITION
The Municipality of the District of Guysborough has one immediate opening:
Office Clerk (Spare) for Fanning Fitness Centre, Hazel Hill. This is a casual position and is an as-needed, on-call basis. Therefore candidates must be available to work on short notice.
The successful applicants must have excellent communication skills and the ability to deal directly with the public. Knowledge of and the ability to utilize computers and word processing is a requirement. The individual must be bondable and have the ability to deal with financial transactions. Related work experience in a Recreation or Fitness Center and a current CPR and First Aid Certificate are considered assets.
General responsibilities include collection of membership fees and forms, booking facilities, dealing with the public, answering inquiries, data entry, word processing and other duties pertaining to the day-to-day operations including duties that may be assigned by the Recreation Department.
Applications for this position will be received by the undersigned up to and including Thursday March 21st, 2019 before 4:30 p.m. Applications should be clearly marked APPLICATION - CASUAL FITNESS CENTRE OFFICE CLERK and may be submitted in person to the Chedabucto Lifestyle Complex, 60 Green Street, Guysborough, or by mailing to the address listed below.
Recreation Programmer & Facility Manager
Chedabucto Lifestyle Complex
60 Green Street, Guysborough P. O. Box 79
Nova Scotia B0H 1N0
Canso Seaside Manor - Employment Opportunities
3 positions - Please click on the links below for details
Milford Haven Home for Special Care
The Milford Haven Home for Special Care is currently seeking individuals who are interested in Registered Nurse, Licensed Practical Nurse, & Continuing Care Assistants and Casual Food Service Staff positions. Competitive compensation is offered as well as health and pension benefits upon attaining eligible requirements.
Please contact Carol Rhynold, Administrator, at (902) 533-2828.
Other Significant Employers within the District include:
Strait Regional School Board - Employment Opportunities
Nova Scotia Health Authority - Job Postings
Employment Services Center
For employment assistance, career planning or assistance finding employees to fill positions please contact the Guysborough Career Connections Nova Scotia Works Office by email at https://www.careerconnections.ca/
9996 Highway 16 Unit C